Dispatcher / Jailer
Applicants for dispatcher/ jailer must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be a citizen of the United States of America
- Be a high school graduate or possess equivalency
- Not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendre to any felony or to any violation of any federal or state laws relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor or controlled substances, and not have been released or discharged under other than honorable discharge from any of the armed forces of the United States
- Have his/her fingerprints on file with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation
- Have passed a physical examination by a licensed physician (given during employment process after conditional offer of employment has been tendered by the City at the City's expense and under the requirements set out in General Order 05-06)
- Have good moral character
- Be free of all apparent mental disorders as determined by a City administered psychological examination post conditional offer of employment at the City's expense
- Be able to type at least 35 words per minute
- Must satisfactorily complete within one year of employment the basic emergency communicators course, Emergency Medical Dispatcher course, basic jail school including chemical weapons training and obtain their N.C.I.C. certification, all of which are given at the City's expense
- Must be able to physically perform all the duties of a Dispatcher / Jailer
- Total abstinence from smoking both on and off duty preferred.
- For applicant's presently employed at other agencies nationwide, some credit may be given after probation for previous experience.