In existence since about 1829, Bartlett was incorporated in 1866 and remained a small town for another 100 years. (See Bartlett History) From the "old" town of only 508 people at Stage Road and the CSX Railroad in 1960, we grew rapidly in the 1970s and 1980s both through new residents moving here and through annexation, primarily to the east and north, to over 49,712 people today (city estimated population based on 2006 census and new residential water customers as of March 2009).
City Limits Grow
As of March 17, 2009, the city limits encompass 26.6 square miles, and Bartlett's annexation reserve now extends over another 17.34 square miles. The annexation reserve south of the Loosahatchie River encompasses 9.8 square miles.
- East to the City Limits of Lakeland
- North across the Loosahatchie River to (and at one point, beyond) Pleasant Ridge Road
- Northwest across Austin Peay Highway (TN-14) to Singleton Parkway (from Bolen Huse Road to the Loosahatchie River)
While accommodating new development to the east and north, Bartlett is paying attention to the older areas of the city as well. Current activities include