In existence since about 1829, Bartlett was incorporated in 1866 and remained a small town for another 100 years. (See Bartlett History) From the "old" town of only 508 people at Stage Road and the CSX Railroad in 1960, we grew rapidly in the 1970s and 1980s both through new residents moving here and through annexation, primarily to the east and north, to 56,484 people today as of the last certified census, the 2012 special census (the latest estimate is 58,264 according to the US Census estimate effective July 1, 2014).
City Limits Grow
As of the last annexation effective January 1, 2013, the city limits encompass 32.3 square miles, and Bartlett's annexation reserve covers another 11.64 square miles.
- North across the Loosahatchie River to (and at one point, beyond) Pleasant Ridge Road
- Northwest across Austin Peay Highway (TN-14) to Singleton Parkway (from Bolen Huse Road to the Loosahatchie River)
While accommodating new development to the east and north, Bartlett is paying attention to the older areas of the city as well. Current activities include: